There is something about having a lovely hot bath that soothes your body, mind and soul, particularly after a long day. And then stepping out and massaging delicious products into your skin making it feel silky and smooth adds to the experience. Want one now?
feel yourself stepping into that soothing and healing bath
and totally relaxing
What is it that makes you want to have a bath? Is it to feel good or to soothe your aching body? It is well documented how healing water is. Ever since the Romans, people all over the world have been using the therapeutic qualities of water to cleanse, heal and relax the body.
All age groups love having a bath. Think of a child who loves to play with toys and splash water everywhere with a big grin. For us, adults, there is something about soaking in warm water that shifts your mood and releases tension from your body. To quote Isak Dinesen [Karen Blixen]: “The cure for anything is salt water – tears, sweat, or the sea. ”
So what are the benefits?
- Warm baths are the perfect way to unwind and relieve stress. It also reduces your brain activity making you feel calm and at ease.
- As you relax in a warm tub before you go to bed your body temperature slowly increases. When you get out it returns to a cooler state, thereby releasing melatonin, telling your body that it’s time for bed. This is turn helps you have a good night’s sleep.
- A warm bath soothes those aches and pains, helps relax tight muscles and loosen stiff joints, particularly when you add Epsom salts. As they are pure magnesium, this is a great way to get your boost as most of us are magnesium deficient. These salts draw toxins from your body helping to improve circulation and purification.
- By soaking in warm water you are working up a sweat. As this opens your pores, it helps to clean out toxins and remove impurities from your skin.
- Add baking soda for itchy and dry skin as it acts as a mild antiseptic and minimises irritability.
- Use a lovely body scrub, such as Franc Glow with its ginger and peppermint essential oils, to not only exfoliate your body but to also increase blood flow improving blood circulation.
how to create a luxurious experience
Sometimes stating the obvious is what you need as it is easy to forget how to treat yourself when you are tired and overwhelmed. It is either easier to forgo a soothing and healing bath as it feels too much or you just hop in and out. Here are some suggestions to have on hand for your next bath. (Mine is going to be after completing this blog – it is calling me).
- make sure you have enough time to luxuriate in your bath soaking away the stress of your day. Evenings are great, however, I find having one either during the day as I work from home or on the weekends seems to make it even more luxurious.
- remember to turn off all your phones, ipads and laptops. You want nothing to disturb or distract you from your precious time out.
- Shut the door to remain uninterrupted by little people or not so little people who suddenly need your attention right now.
- Either get a lovely bath pillow or use a small hand towel to cushion your neck.
- Light some candles and play some soft soothing music.
- Add essential oils, depending on your mood.
- Make sure your products are within easy reach as you must rehydrate your skin as warm water is drying. Also, drink water to replace water lost on the inside.
- If you have a towel warmer, remember to place your towel on it so it is deliciously warm when you get out.
Lastly, enjoy your bath in your beautifully created space to feel refreshed and rejuvenated.
Lastly, to make your experience even more enjoyable why not do a soothing meditation. All you need to do is focus on your breath as you gently breathe. As you do this bring your attention to the sensations of the water on your body, the sound of the music and the beautiful scents. This helps you slow down and create a wonderful sense of tranquillity and being in the present moment.
NB. If you are pregnant, have high blood pressure or a heart condition don’t make your bath too hot.